Friday, May 17, 2013

Key West or bust

What an amazing surprise. . .

I decided to sleep at my parent's house while Jason was on shift. I get too tired at night to drive the 1/2 hour out to Markham and just find it easier to sleep on the couch here. Jason called on his drive home stating he was planning a surprise and that he would be the my dad's in a bit to pick me up.

A few hours later, we were in the car and headed the the Keys. I always try to get him to stop at the outlet mall right off the last exit. There always seems to be a reason why we can't. This time, it was our first stop. We walked into the Coach store and I remembered a bag I purchased last summer in Sanibel. I mentioned to the girl that I had purchased the bag but never used it. I was too nervous to get the light colored fabric dirty. The sales woman stated if the bag had the tags on it, they would be able to accept it back for the current price. If I had the receipt, I would get what I paid. While walking through the store, I told Jason to run out to the car and check my trunk, that the purse may be in there still from last year. A few minutes later he returns with bag in hand. I couldn't believe I randomly had it with us, receipt and all. $139 was ours to use towards new merchandise. A new bag for me, a wallet for Jason, and a new key chain all for $1.82 balance. Seriously??? Who does that? ME!



After the outlets we headed south, stopping at our traditional Starbucks. Our favorite stop is at Island Grill at Mandalay Bay in Key Largo. I dream about their tuna nachos. The view from the outdoor deck is one of the best I have ever seen. We watch the boats go by, pelicans fish for food, and talk with the locals.




We toyed with the idea of staying near Key Largo or Islamorada, but I just couldn't see us being so close to Key West and not taking advantage of it. Afterall, with the move to Fort Myers coming up, it will probably be a while before we are in the Keys again. Key West bound we were. I wanted to get down in time for the sunset, but without hotel reservations, we would have to put some time into searching for one. With my husband. . . nothing is really planned if I don't plan it myself.

We called a few hotels on the way down, but had no luck. Everything was booked. Friends of my family own the Duval House. Luckily they had vacancy. We pulled in right off Duval street into this mini parking lot. Joanne showed us a small room downstairs with a queen bed and a larger room upstairs with a king bed, tub, and balcony. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but seemed to be well worth it. Upstairs it was.



Living in an RV for 7 months now, things like a king sized bed, leg room, a large tub, and enough room for a balcony are luxuries to us. We couldn't pass it up.





We brought what little things we had upstairs and got ready to go out. I in jeans and a cute shirt and Jason in basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers. He didn't think to bring any clothes other than pajamas/workout clothes. Awesome!

The first store we walked into was selling mens shorts for $79.99. I am the girl who just got a Coach purse, wallet, and key chain for $1.82. There was no way we were paying that much for shorts. The next store had shorts for $30 (not what we would typically pay) and flip flops for $20. At thins point I didn't care. All I wanted to do was see the sunset over Mallory square. We purchased the items and took off walking.

Of course we missed the sunset, but were still able to enjoy a gorgeous view out over the water. After walking a little more, we ended our night by eating at Caroline's, and singing 'back up' to the awesome performers at Irish Kevins. I sipped my irish coffee while beer was on Jason's mind. It really was a great chance for us to refuel our relationship.









The last time we took a trip together without the dog or RV was 1 1/2 years ago to DC celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary. This was a much needed trip.

Thursday morning, I woke up early enough to watch the sunrise from our hotel room balcony while Jason slept starfish style in the large king sized bed. It was tough getting him out of it, even for breakfast. Home made waffles with syrup and strawberries really hit the spot. A few minutes spent in the bed and breakfast hammock was so relaxing. It's hard to believe just outside the gates is Duval street (crazy drunk people) and inside is a lush tranquil garden setting.


 
That was our room, top right.






Our day was spent doing more of the same; eating, drinking, walking. We walked all the way to the buoy only to be greeted by the infamous line of people waiting to get their picture taken. A long armed shot worked for us before a good samaritan took one for us. Jason and I ran to the back of the buoy and took our own shot in front of it without having to wait in the long line. You can't really read the words on the front anyways. Suckers!





After our photo with the buoy, we made our way all the way to the other end of Duval street to Mallory square. There I got a turtle charm in honor of Taylor's turtle obsession.



 
Oh honey, It's only $20K




Back to the hotel for a swim in the pool and a good conversation with an older couple from North Carolina. Dinner on Duval street was a must before our long trip home. We watched the sunset from the car, stopping at our traditional Starbucks before making our way back home.



It was such a great trip and I am so glad he surprised me with it. We are always hesitant to just take off for a night long trip, but it is so worth it. Getting away does so much for your relationship and your mood. We now have a renewed love and devotion to one another and recommend everyone doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment