Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hit the road Jack

On Sunday, Tara and I drove over to Naples to visit with our cousins Maggie and Ryan and their daughter Hannah. While we were there we would do a quick 6 month old photo shoot and also take their Christmas pictures. The shoot went great. Hannah was the perfect model (I think it's because we started her out the day of her birth with a photo shoot in the hospital). She was so well behaved and probably my best subject yet. Hanging out with Maggie and Ryan was great. We got a chance to chat while at lunch and catch up. Tara and I eventually took off and headed back to the East coast.

We stopped at Markham to check on the RV. Markham has the Toys for Tots run at the park, so there were thousands of bikers in and out of the park all day. I was kind of happy that we weren't there. The RV was perfect and all the crowds had cleared before we even got there. I wasn't too comfortable staying the night (not because of the bikers) because the morning before, I was awoken with the bright lights of our bedroom ceiling. I later found out that Jason had to turn the lights on the catch yet another frog in the bedroom. Awesome! So I didn't feel comfortable staying in a room that frogs are somehow figuring out how to get in while being all alone. No thank you! Off to my dad's we went. We had left Taylor there for the day anyways, so her and I slept on the couch.

Why is there ever a plan involved in trips? Trips should consist of zero planning. That way when nothing goes according to no plan, I don't get upset :) Of course we had a plan. Jason was suppose to be at my dad's to pick us up right after shift around 8:15/8:30ish. 9:30 rolls around and he finally shows. Of course he had to go to the RV store and spend $100 on things "We absolutely needed!" Whatever. Off to Markham we went. It was time to load up our 2 weeks of site F 4 and hit the road. Long story short. . . around 1:30pm Jason comes into the RV and says "Are you ready to say I told you so?" I am always ready for that. My response was "Yes, I am just excited to find out which thing you are referring to." Side note. . . I love being right :) So the silly scooted that he just had to borrow from his friend OJ doesn't seem to sit on the rack well enough. It seems to be bouncing all over the place. Of course it's the racks fault. Stupid thing says 500lb weight capacity and can't barely seem to hold 180lbs. Maybe it's because it's a stupid scooter and the back tire is hanging off the back of the rack. Maybe because it's really a bike rack and not a nerd mobile holder.

I get a text from my mother-in-law around 1:45ish asking us if we had left yet (we are headed to Ocala to see her). At that point we still had bikes on the ground, the 5th wheel not hitched up, Jason freaking out, slides not pulled in, etc. I don't know how, but it all came together and we were headed to the station to drop this stupid scooter off. The ride to the station was horrible. It was my first time in the truck while towing the RV. Oh man. Taking a 33.5 foot 5th wheel down the craziness and construction of 595 was almost unbearable. I literally almost threw up twice due to anxiety. The scooter bounces with every bump we hit and the gallons and gallons of water left in the tank shook us around like a bumper car. Thank goodness nothing happened.

After eliminating the stress and weight of the scooter as well as the 500 extra lbs of the water, we were smooth sailing. It made such a world of difference. Of course we were both starving as soon as we got on the road. We were approaching 4:00pm and were worried about rush hour. On top of that, we can't just pull up to a regular drive through and order our meal anymore. Rest stop it was! We pulled into the first Turnpike rest area we found. Of course those would all be under construction as well because nothing could just be easy. We park with all the huge trucks and jump out. Jason runs in because he needed food first. We don't want the Hulk to come out. Taylor and I wondered over to the grass area so she could use the ladies room. All of a sudden. . . I spotted it. . . it was like a angel came down and said "Here is a little slice of heaven on Earth. A little calmness amongst your crazy day of anxiety." What was it you ask? No not a bar. It was a designated dog park area!!! Taylor and I ran straight through the parking lot across the the gate. It was so nice being able to take her off her leash and let her run around for a few minutes. I didn't have to worry about food on the floor because people rather not touch the nasty garbage cans. I wasn't worried about cars flying by and almost hitting her. It was perfect. She of course was the only dog in the park, but I was just happy she could stretch her legs/

Jason came out with a personal pan pizza (the new stops have better food now). I probably looked like a kid in a candy store. I was so excited to show him the dog park area. After a half hour of getting food, dog park time, and loading back up, we were ready to hit the road again. We stopped a few more times for gas, food, and the bathroom. We almost forgot that the RV was behind us because of the easiness of the drive. We made it to Ocala around 9pm, stopped at Subway for a quick bite to eat, and then to Virginia and Charlie's for a change of scenery. We positioned the RV just off their driveway in the grass. We have a great sunset view out the back window.

While setting up, I noticed one of the tree frogs on the grass just outside of the RV. That little brat hitched a ride all the way from Markham. I tried to set everything up inside so Charlie and Virginia could see our new house. Sure enough. . . another tree frog in the bedroom. Jason used the infamous cup and plate contraption and got that guy out. A few minutes later I go in the RV bathroom to wash my hands and. . . another FROG! What the heck? Jason to the rescue again. He thinks they were sitting on the slides at the park and then when we pulled the slides in, they came in also. All more the reason I asked him if he swept the slides first. . .

Finally all the frogs were out of the RV and we were able to show his parents the house. They loved it. They jokingly talked of building a huge hanger for their airplane and toys and just living in one of these. We went into their house and watched some tv, talked a bite, and enjoyed a drink. Our bed never felt so comfy. Taylor settled right in as if nothing had changed. Technically her home was the exact same way only her yard changed. We have been so excited to get this thing on the road. Ocala is a good start. A 4 1/2 hour drive, no nightly charge, able to plug in still, and most importantly. . . able to see family for the holidays. Love it! We leave for Sebring on Friday to see my mom, Sean, Dusty, and that whole side :)

No comments:

Post a Comment